Thursday, October 4, 2012

Insepulto Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?

A.P. - The concept of INSEPULTO started around 17 years ago, as a reunion of 3 locals bands. But since logistics were so hard, the "band", so to speak, was put on hiatus right after the first photo session. I started playing in other bands and lost contact with both, U.Xerxes.H and Ronald, in the mid 90's. In 2008, U.Xerxes.H and me got in contact again. I showed him some ideas I had laying around and he encouraged me put them all into songs. So right after I had all of them done, we started to look for a vocalist. Coincidentally, I met Ronald again in a local "Metal Bar" and he agreed to be part of the project. So, there you go: 3 old members of the local underground reunited under the same concept it was created: Death Metal.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?

A.P. - Just like I stated above, INSEPULTO is a Death Metal band. We are "old-timers". We have been into Heavy metal for quite some time and we share a musical taste. Our influences are too many to mention, but we try to do our best creating music we like. In my case, as the "man behind the music", I could say our sound is based in the early/mid-90's British Death Metal: Intense, heavy and raw; those are the key words to the sound we agreed on playing and recording. Obviously, we are also influenced by the South American and Florida styles of that same era. But we try to add our own twist to it. I absolutely hate the "Old School" tag, even though that could be the first thing other people will think when listening to us. To me, those bands
that are commonly tagged as "Old School" were/are the bands that I started listening to and I still enjoy, for the lack of new music with the same attitude. Their music is timeless. And we hope our music reaches that same status, eventually.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Ronald – Well...at this point I must say that the majority of the lyrics on the album were written by me, actually 9 out of 10. So having that said, I can tell you that from the very beginning I wanted to write about topics related with death metal…you know for example in the case of “Sumerian Throne of Evil” I thought it would be cool to write about such an ancient civilization giving it a certain feeling of paganism. Other song with the same characteristic is “Orthodox” that wanted it to deal with some sort of twisted romance from a pervert point of view…one of my favorites is “Religious Pedophile” which as the title suggests, goes against the abuses perpetrated by priests against children…on the other hand I wanted to write something more related with the three of us as a band…so you can see tracks like “Insepulto – The Devilish Enthronement” speaking of what we are as a band and entity. In the case of the opening track “Epitome of Rigor Mortis” I wanted to make a lyric mentioning something about the three bands that are related with the origins of Insepulto, so that’s why I mention Paganus Doctrina in certain moments because that’s from where Gilbert comes  and also Colemesis where Alfonso contributed especially on the “Post Biosis” demo…also I bring back the title “Grotesque Genital Dismemberment” which was a promo tape Alfonso & I recorded in 1993 when we were part of Pseudostratiffied Epithelium. Pretty much the same line with “The Posthumous Trintiy” where the posthumous trinity are the three of us, here I simply attack the fake people  infesting the scene with their poser attitudes…so as you can see…I like to put some little clues and references of elements that have some meaning for us.

U.Xerxes.H – In my case, I only contributed with lyrics for “Illumination through flagellation” and it deals mostly with my views on Satanism and perceiving flagellation as the daily crap you get into while living in this society, such way serves for your eyes to see and ears to hear, it is kind of realizing of who you actually are, testing yourself by will into difficult situations, which is in some sort related to the philosophical side of Satanism in practice.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

A.P. - INSEPULTO is an Spanish word for "Unburied". The name was conceived by the guy who originally came up with the idea of putting together the 3 local bands we were once members of. Going back to that name, since it was never used, seemed the to be obvious choice for us. The concept remains intact. As of today, we all have our current bands (Paganus Doctrina, Mummified,
Ashen Sky/Lacerate) but we want to play our music,"our version of", dare I say, of Death Metal.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

U.Xerxes.H – Interesting is the fact we’ve never played live with this band. The way it came to live was more of a studio project since the three of us have their own all consuming time bands so we just had in mind to deliver something which all we worship and that is traditional Death Metal to the core. However, I personally have that thirst to bring this band on a stage performance but I don’t know when this will happen due to our personal schedules must match perfectly to taking in account such important aspect and besides we need to find suitable session musicians for that matter and I think that will be the very hard task to accomplish.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?

U.Xerxes.H – Touring for us at this point of our lives would be really difficult. As I told you we’ve never played live so far and we have to match very well our personal schedules to do so in order to bring the right energy to bring this band into a stage performance.  I personally would love to play some gigs with Insepulto because it would be a blast having all those crazy maniacs crushing their skulls to the stage at the beat of our death metal attack. But we need to evaluate certain aspects merely regarded to our personal lives if we can or not in a sooner time to bring this band on stage and certainly, that is something I’m looking forward to experience myself.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by death metal fans?

Ronald - It has been really good indeed…I mean, we are receiving continuous feedback from different places saying that the album is really well structured and conceived. I feel certain pattern that so far has been consistently appearing and it is that Insepulto is not another clone band of the early 90s Swedish sound…which really makes me feel very pleased because it says we have been able to develop, at least in this record, certain own sound and style which is nothing else but our interpretation of what this music should be based in our experiences over the past two decades…

U.Xerxes.H – Honestly, the feedback so far has been really impressive since none of us had in mind to have such great response on reviews and interviews. You see, we did this just for the pure fun of it, having a really cool time doing some songs that could evoke to us that hell raising hysteria we lived back in the early golden days of Death Metal and there were no other interests than that one. At the end, it seems to be that we actually came up with something deadly serious to the point some death bangers and media in general has known to appreciate very well and that will serve us as a push up to write new stuff and still getting fun with this music we so much love.

A.P. - Surprisingly good. I mean, if someone should've told me 6 years ago that all these ideas I had laying around would become songs and that these songs would be part of an album with such good reviews worldwide, I would've laugh hysterically. As many other musicians/artists out there, I make music to satisfy my own self first. I am kinda egocentric when it comes down to what I play. Crazy enough, Ronald and U.Xerxes.H liked what I came up with. So, having all these reviewers and friends and other people say that they also liked what we do is just incredible.

8. What is going on with the other musical projects these days?

Ronald – In my case I have my own band called MUMMIFIED, which even when it is death metal also, it is completely different to INSEPULTO, with this band we released our debut album last year through the Russian Label Nihil Art Records, it’s called “Embalming the Nazarene” and shows a more cryptic and obscure form of death metal. Now we are currently recording two new songs for a potential 7” ep to be called “Impious Necrolatry” where things have turned out even slower and heavier bordering the edge between Death/Doom metal. If you want to give it a listen…go here HYPERLINK "http://mummified.stereokiller.com/" http://mummified.stereokiller.com/

U.Xerxes.H – PAGANUS DOCTRINA is my main priority as about music is concerned. We are now waiting for our label Ashen Productions (Austria) to release formally our debut album “Omnipotense Aeternae Diabolous” and right now I’m in the works of three new songs although I don’t know when their recording will take place. We play fast Black Death Metal with some slow marching segments. Think in mixing bands like Mystifier, early Mayhem, early Marduk, early Morbid Angel and Sarcófago into one monolithic own expression of extreme black metal. You can check some advances in Youtube for that matter and more information about us can be found in HYPERLINK "http://www.myspace.com/paganusdoctrina" www.myspace.com/paganusdoctrina .

A.P. - Even though I have my regular life to live, I always manage myself time for music. For me, music is an outburst, a way of expressing myself. So, as of now, my main band, where I play guitar, is CRIMSON NOISE. A alternative rock/metal band I have been a member of for 6-7 years. We put out our debut EP independently a couple months ago. I also help my good friend Fabian's band COLEMESIS. I used to be a member, but I just don't have the time. So now I am somewhat of session member/composer/producer. I also have my Thrash Metal band/project ASHEN SKY. The debut album is ready, but it has been on stand by for some time because I can't seem to find a suitable vocalist. But I hope I can put it out sometime next year. And my latest project is LACERATE. I put out a demo with me playing all the instruments + vocals way back in 1992. And recently, an editor of a local zine (who happens to be a friend of mine) had me unearth that tape. So I decided to resurrect the project, again as a one-man-band. But this time, instead of the Gore/Grind I used to play, I am putting out a 9 song, 20 min EP, full of good old Grindcore/Crust mixed with Death Metal. The songs are ready, the music is ready. And since I can't sing/growl/scream, I am having guest vocalists for every song. All good friends/acquaintances in the local scene. We'll see who this one turns out. You can listen to some clips here: HYPERLINK "http://www.facebook.com/laceratecr" \t "_blank" www.facebook.com/laceratecr

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

Ronald – Hmmm…there are 3 new songs that Alfonso has already composed for what would be our next work, I can say that these ones are really cool, emphasizing that crushing death metal vibe we so much like. On the other hand, seems like Gilbert wants to contribute with some music next time, and based on that, I feel we can see kind of a devilish approach being incorporated in the next songs. At the end, I think we will keep focused on our orthodox vision of Death Metal…simple as that.

A.P. - Musical direction. Such an obtuse term, ha ha ha. As Ronald stated above, I have 2 or 3 songs ready for our next release, whatever it may be. Maybe these new songs stay close to the ones featured in "MSOR". Anyway, I really want to exploit one of my fave sub-genres: Doom Metal. I want the new songs to be massive, dense and raw, incorporating our usual mid-paced style with some blast beats here and there. Or maybe not. I never sit down to write songs. They come off the top of my head, basically anywhere. I just don't like to stick to the same formula. There is also a huge plus this time; both Ronald and U.Xerxes.H will be collaborating more with the music and lyrics.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music heading into on future releases?

Ronald – Oh man…I listen too many things…hard to say which ones have influenced me for Insepulto in particular, however I can say that I am a confessed worshiper of the early 90s finish death metal school, let’s say Abhorrence, Rippikoulu, Depravity, Demilich, Demigod, Xysma (before wimping out!!!), Purtenance…and more recently, this 2nd wave that has absolutely amazing bands such as Krypts, Stench of Decay, Ascended, Swallowed…etc. But I this doesn’t mean that I limit my taste to that particular approach, I am very much into the US mid 90s movement where Sadistic Intent, Skeleton of God, Horror of Horrors, Killing Addiction, Morgue, Desciples of Mockery among many others are among my favorites. Also I could cite bands from exotic places that have impacted me so much like Abramelin from Australia, Horgkomostropus from Honduras, Burial Invocation from Turkey…and well…many many more…you know this is the typical theme for a drinks table with your friends…you can keep talking and talking for hours…ja ja ja

A.P. - There are so many bands/albums that have influenced me that it would be ridiculous to come up with a list. Let's say
that my favorite "eras" are the 80's Bay Area Thrash movement, the British Death Metal/Crust/Grindcore movement and the late 80's Brazilian Scene. Logic reads that also the NWOSDM and Florida's Death Metal have been an endless source of inspiration. For INSEPULTO, I think we will "grow backwards" into the past. We are not a retro band; we just pay homage to the music that marked our lives as persons, musicians and metal heads. I think we can come up with some pretty dense stuff in the future, just for the sake of it.

11. How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?

Ronald – Gilberth…make yourself confortable…

A.P. - I have spent a lot of time reading about beliefs, religion, cults and the likes. I've read enough to ignore the mental slavery that most people call religion. But I am no atheist either, as I've come to believe that there is an endless source of energy that drives this ever expanding cosmos. Alas, one needs to look inwards instead of outwards. The search for your personal enlightenment should be carried away with the means you deem necessary, without altering the balance of the universe or affecting any other beings, material or not. Certain currents in Satanism and Occultism share some, but not all, of these views.

U.Xerxes.H – Thanks Ronald! Well, as you can notice I’m the only self declared Satanist in the band and that means that Insepulto isn’t a Satanic band in its whole line up. I do write about Satanism only in my lyrics but that does not mean the band should stand entirely by this personal view of mine. In any case, these topics are more in depth focused in my other band PAGANUS DOCTRINA.  To me, Satanism through Occultism stands on a personal journey of gnosis and at the same time trying to accomplish a certain degree of liberation in its process of Theosis. It is a multidimensional path of possibilities that can bring the best of yourself into the practice of what you by nature are capable to achieve, bounded to the laws of cosmic energy yet respecting those who think differently to you. There is a wrong view that seems to prevail in the underground about seeing Satanism as some sort of intolerant and dominating dogma upon others and that is absolutely wrong because at the end it would turn exactly into the other currents such Christianity just to name the most famous in Black Metal. But the real thing here, is the fact this is something up to the individual and it has nothing to do with a gregarious thought or trying to pursue a Satanic “community”. That is something too ridiculous to think. However, I stand also on terms of faith and I do also consider Satanism as a way to connect yourself with energies or forces unknown yet to the human eye that at the same time provides a sense of divinity and a need to balance yourself with those energies.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Ronald – in my case…I am married and I have kid 6 years old named Braulio….most of the time is consumed by this family role, so when I have free time, I dedicate it entirely to the music. I am huge fan of collecting metal, so I destine some time per month to review catalogues and bring some cool stuff I may find. Also I am contributor in Voices from the Darkside where I post reviews, and before that I was carrying overall responsibilities at Archaic Magazine before it passed away early this year. One thing I like, now that I think of, is drawing logos…yeah…for example my first band logo was drawn by myself, the same with the Mummified logo, currently I am drawing the design of our EP legend “Impious Necrolatry” to be used as part of the cover!

U.Xerxes.H – I don’t have kids yet. So, my life is almost consumed by my work as building and houses’s constructor and soon to get my formal degree in Architecture. Besides, my life is almost dedicated to Metal Music, I have my fanzine called CALL TO THE INFERNAL HORDES which I’ve released 7 issues so far and it is a printed media by the way. There is my other band PAGANUS DOCTRINA which takes most of my energy regarding writing songs is concerned and I’m now in the plans to work with some other guys into a new studio project framed into a more traditional second wave black metal band we still don’t have a name and we are barely writing some ideas for the songs.

A.P. - Family, Music, Job. I'm also married and my daughter just turned 1 year old. My wife and her are my Light Beings, to whom I try to dedicate most of the time. I also spend the evenings listening and analyzing my favorite records, since I am a frustrated producer/recording engineer. My share of journalism is doing interviews and reviews for the almighty Voices from the Darkside webzine (Hi Frank!). I also rehearse with my other band and we play live shows twice or thrice a month. You can say most of my time is pretty tied up, I guess.

13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Ronald – Thanks to you my friend, thanks to the maniacs out there who took the time to read this conversation, a humble advice from your friend The Master Butcher would be to simply stay away from any mainstream conception, nothing is more antagonist to death metal principles than applying worldwide commercial marketing concepts to this music, mainstream is a distortional vision where glamour and pose are more important than the essence of what you do…mainstream measures success in terms of likes at Facebook level, in terms of fans, in terms of public at a show….but if you look back, you will discover a bunch of killer bands that were for real…amazing records that helped to shape the overall’s genre identity…so…don’t get satisfied listening the same crappy bands everyone does…go ahead and search for the past…I can assure you that I have given this tip to several friends and well they always come back saying…shit man…you were right there are so many killer bands that I never knew of…we have cited several ones through this conversation…but the one thing is for sure…the first you need to check out is INSEPULTO for sure….stay Mummified!!!....c’ya…

U.Xerxes.H – Thanks for the chat man, it was really cool indeed. From my behalf I just want to say that if by any means we get bigger you’ll take note that we will ALWAYS be loyal to the underground attitude and that means to have that sense of humbleness with all those who write us and support us. The Rock Star tag won’t be something never to be expected from us. We are just head bangers creating music for other head bangers. Staying into the underground where most of the honestly and respect lies today in extreme music is our personal GOAL! AMSG!

A.P. - Thank you very much for your support. Interviews are always welcomed; they are fun to answer to. I also want to thank our label, the people that have taken their time to review our album and the people that have shown interest in our music and band. Respect goes out to you all. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment