Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dead Awaken Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Currently, we're awaiting our first copies of the album!
Doing a local release gig tomorrow(March 31st).
Then it's time to start harassing people with the album, to get out on the road.
Hopefully we'll get some good reviews.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?

It's very aggressive.
More focused than our old demo's.
Most of the songs on the album are juiced up demo songs.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?

Mostly war and it's horrors. Always been a fave topic of mine.
We will probably turn direction on our next release.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

Actually, I believe it was Joakim, our former drummer who was listening to Cannibal corpse.
The name came from some of their lyrics. The name stuck in his mind, as he thought it was really cool.

5. Originally the band was called Abyssal Chaos, what was the decision behind the name change?

Good question. The name change was before I entered the band.
I remember the guys in the band (Who were really young, when I joined) thought "abyss" was the coolest word in the world.
I love the irony in that 11 years after the birth of the band, we're on Abyss records!

6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

Opening for Vomitory was great!
I think our performances are intense, yet laid back.
We focus on the music, which you can probably tell.
We have a lot of fun!

7. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?

Not yet. I've found that no one wil book you, until the album is out.
Frustrating.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the newer music by fans of death metal?

People seem to like our stuff.
It seems like we're automatically labelled "Old school".
How the hell do you define that?
Old school to me means bands like old Massacre, Bolt thrower, Obituary, Death, early Entombed.
I don't think we sound like any of them(Well, possibly Bolt thrower), even if that's what we grew up listening to.
But, as we're in our 40's, maybe that's what naturally comes out of us..? You tell me.
We try to make it timeless.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

Angrier. Not necessarily faster, but intense.
Some of the lyrics touch on very personal topics.
I think things will become a bit less worked out and more from the heart.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Mats, our drummer, lisens to a lot of newer style death metal, like Anaal Nathrakh, Origin, etc.
Personally, I still love some of the older stuff, like Bolt thrower. I also lean a lot towards Triptyon and Monotheist, the last Celtic Frost album. I love the evil spirit and the darkness of it.
We're both heavily into Immolation too.

11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

I love spending time with my family.
Hanging out with my friends, having a beer or two.
Got into alcohol late, but now I'm a whisky nerd.
I also play a lot of video games, survival horr and first person shooters.
My primary interest is still guitars and guitar gear.

12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thanks for the interview!
Keep supporting Death Metal! New or old, nevermind! We need our exreme music.
Check out our album. Hope you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment