Thursday, September 26, 2013

Disfigured Dead Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?
Well, after we recorded Relentlesss, we have played shows and wrote and recorded our third record that we are actually finishing up this year. It's been a lot of fun, we as a band always find writing to be so natural. If we could i don't think we'd ever stop haha.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and also how does it differ from the one you had released 3 years ago?
Relentless to me is like what "Vile" was to Cannibal Corpse. It is more mature and focused. We took a punishing, and brutal approach very much like a Suffocation/Cannibal sorta way. It's what we grew up on, and what we love. Our debut was very old school death metal so this definitely had a big change to the song structures and complexity. I think it shows a good progression as a band. Both as the music/songwriting goes, but also the production levels have stepped up as well. We went to a different studio this time, and i think the production is spot on!

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release and also how would you describe your progress as songwriters over the years?
Again the lyrics kind of represent what I (Kyle) feel is classic Death Metal. Horror/gore/violent lyrics. They are all like mini stories of death and the macabre. I was first introduced to death metal when I was very young, the 4th grade to be exact haha. And the first thing I heard was Cannibal Corpse BloodThirst. So after hearing that I soon found Morbid Angel, Sinister, Deicide, Exhumed and the list went on and on. I just absorbed it all But Cannibal was always very special. In the fact I found growing up they were a template for this extreme music. So naturally I wrote in a similar death inspired lyrical fashion. Our first record had the same style of lyrics, but this record is far more vivid and extreme. As for our third album we have stayed away from gore/blood approach and our lyrics are very abstract and metaphorical. I wrote a series our poems based on personal things and we used this for the lyrics. They are very dark, the darkest we have up to this point. What is so awesome is that anyone who reads the lyrics can find something in them for themselves and find they're own truths.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Disfigured Dead?
Well the name doesn't have a deep meaning by any means haha. We were sitting in my room after we practice one day deciding which songs we were going to record for our first demo, and Dave was shooting out names he had thought of and none really caught anyone. After a moment of silence he just said Disfigured Dead and we were all like that's it! We did want to have a two word name and it just really fits our music, original and sounds great.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
We are much different then most bands I think because we don't play out very much. We actually never played a show until like 2010. We had shows planned before but Everett couldn't make it so we just never did them. We do like playing out its just a lot of hassle sometimes. We played The Sevared Fest last year and that was a great show, the first time we played Buffalo NY was one of my favorites and the show we played with Goatwhore, Havok and Exhumed! Those were just awesome shows! We have a lot of energy live and usually play through songs pretty fast haha. We want it to be as extreme and brutal as it can be!


6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
We did have a full US tour we embarked on in June but we broke down in Milwaukee and couldn't finish, so that really sucked! We haven't played out since for we have been working on the third record. I am talking with some promoters about some select shows for these next couple of months but nothing is set in stone.

7. The new album is getting released by both Butchered and Severed Records, do you feel that working with 2 record labels will help get the name out a lot more?
I Think it could generate more expose. Two different labels that kind of bring two different sub-sects of death metal so you have a wider spectrum on which your bring marketed to. So far its hard to say if its done more or less the album hasn't been out that long. I know through our eBay store I've sold a lot of copies, and I haven't heard one bad word yet!

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of brutal death metal?
Our first album had both positive and negative reviews, some thought it was perfect while others didn't like the production/music/etc. That comes with the territory but overall people really seem to like it! I see it up all over the place and people comment to us and in some magazines. The new record has had awesome reviews from fans, I'm so happy to hear how much they love the songs. I think there is a lot of variety on this record and it will have something to offer to any death metal fan.

9. What is going on with the other musical project these days?
Well when Disfigured Dead went on a short break My brother who is the second guitarist and I started a thrash band, we only did one show and recorded two demos. We actually were going to release a full length with an Australian label but that fell through haha. As of today we don't do anything with it. Making music is what I love so it was a lot of fun. Late last summer I recorded session drums for a guys heavy metal project with a producer names Jeff Moleski. He recorded like The Smashing Pumpkins and other bigger bands so that was pretty cool.

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
As we have always said we never will write the same record twice. Each release we expand on what we do and bring new feels and up the ante so to speak. The third record shows another big step forward, it has sort of a Polish Death Metal vibe to it. Very dark, and a lot faster then our first two records for sure! Some very cool unnerving guitar work and off beat drum arrangements. I think it shows our potential as of now. I'm so excited for the world to see/hear it!

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
For Relentless we drew a lot of inspiration from bands like Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Immolation, you know the greats haha. I'd say for the new third album the influences have change more to Decapitated, Hate, Behemoth, Lost Soul. Just a darker feel and I'd say more extreme. As for me I listen to it all man. I got into these bands when I was very young and I still listen to these records on a regular basis. There has been a lot of great new albums released in the last hand full of years as well. Still loving the new Nile, Watain's Wild Hunt is great, the new Immolation super heavy, seriously love the new Fleshgod Apocalypse, Gorguts new record is very inspiring. Carcass also just released in the states. I mean for those who think metal is dying/not releasing anything good they just are not paying attention.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Well my interest are almost strictly musical. I play drums everyday for 1-2 hours then watch music/drum dvds haha. My brother restores old cars/trucks and does motocross and shit like that. As for Dave, well who the hell knows what he does haha.

13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
I want to thank you for interviewing us! It was a pleasure man for real. Also to anyone that has listened to/cared about this band. If you haven't picked up the album I know you will love it. Go to eBay and search Disfigured Dead Relentless and you'll find our listing. Also the future will hold new music so look out for more news! Thanks again -Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment