Saturday, August 30, 2014

Gory Blister Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new album?
Joe: The Fifth Fury has been released just before summer, so it was too late to get in the summer festivals bill; what we have tried to work out was the promotion of the album thru the webzines and mags Europewide. As a first result, a track from the new album (Thresholds) has been included in the comp CD attached to the Terrorizer issue of August 2014. Anyway, the promotion goes on and we are getting some interesting feedback.

2.In May you had released a new album, how would you describe the music sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
Raff: For each of our albums we try not to repeat what we have already done before, trying to introduce elements of novelty in the arrangements and the sound that distinguishes the new album from the previous stuff, without distorting the personality of the band, and without leaving the Technical Death Metal boundaries. The Fifth Fury is therefore the fifth evolution of our style, for which we have chosen a darker riffing and more groovy tunes, surrounded by suffering as well as more direct vocals; the ultimate goal was to achieve an "In Your Face" sound from the album, but at the same time technical enough and easily recognizable.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?
Joe: In the first albums I used to write lyrics based on arts, literature, science fiction. This time I decided to get back to the cruel reality. First of all I created a new figure based on the myth of the Erynies, that is the Fifth Fury, who wants to give the hourglass of death back to mankind. No more Gods. So I reconciled with life. I explored some troubles such as the spreading of new chemical drugs (Psycho-Crave and Devouring me), the massacre and rapes of the Bosnian women (Mass Grave), the mass pollution of the biggest steel mill in Europe (search for the Ilva in the city of Taranto, The Grey Machinery). At last, I would like to say something about Thresholds; I dedicated the lyrics of the songs to my friends Claudio Leo(former Lacuna Coil) and Mauro Caporale, who died within the same week in January 2013. It was the most tragic week ever.

4.The band has been around since 1991, what you had formed the band more than 20 years ago did you ever think you would of still been around today?
Joe: Of course yes, but maybe I imagined to be a professional artist now. Actually that is true in the sense that we act as professionists, but the music business has changed in a very negative way for the emerging bands. After the Art Bleeds recordings (2001) we happened to sign a deal with the german label Noise records for their “sonick attack project”. When this project had started and our record was selling good, the major label Sanctuary group bought Noise rec and cut off the project, so we were left without any deal. Of course, we did not surrender and searched for a new one to release the record. Finally we found a licensing deal with Sekhmet records (France) and that’s why Art Bleeds was officially released only in 2003. Even if we got the deals under Mascot records for Skymorphosis (2006) and Graveyard of Angels. (2009), under Bakerteam for Earth-Sick (2012) and Sliptrick Rec. for this new album, I think that that gap of three years between the recordings of Art Bleeds and its real release, has never been erased. I cannot have regrets, or something, but I know we could have been more lucky at the very beginning.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Gory Blister'?
Joe: Ah, this is something young drummers can easily understand. When I started playing drums I got those wounds on my fingers due to the hard playing. I was not so good at English, but when I wondered how do they call them in English, the result was “gory blisters”. So when we had to think up a name for the band, our choice fell on that!

6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
Raff: Although Gory Blister is not a band on tour throughout the year for a variety of obvious reasons, we try to play live as much as possible. The Live dimension is our ideal habitat, especially when there is a good response from the audience. We have done many concerts in the past and there have been several good shows. I particularly can remember the show in Essen (Germany), and a festival in Groningen (The Netherlands) during the European tour with Sadus and Darkane(2006), or the Evolution Festival in Florence (Italy-2007) where at the end of the show the entire audience screamed Gory Blister..Gory Blister. In general, during our performances we care at first a stage, of playing correctly the songs, and then if the Stage conditions allow it, we try to involve the audience as much as possible, an example can be this show we played not long ago supporting Obituary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94GmVt4PZc4

7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
Raff: Yes, we are trying to promote The Fifth Fury Europewide the next winter, with the support of our label, mainly in the countries where we know that the sales are stronger, that is Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom and Italy. I hope that this project will be realized. We'll see.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of technical death metal?
Raff: By Internet and the social networks, the band have approached new boundaries, allowing us to reach many more people and potentially expand the number of fans. The feeedback of the people who listen to our works is good and fortunately always positive in the world; this is  obviously pleasant for us and it's the proof that our music is genuine.

9.Are any of the band members involved with any other musical projects these days?
Raff: Yes, our bassist Emi Dattolo is playing in 2 other Death Metal bands, Illogicist and Faust. I started myself a solo project; it's about a guitar instrumental album, it's in the first demo stage yet and I hope to accomplish it in 2015.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
Raff: It's hard to say in general, but especially in these days man!..All I wish is playing live in professional shows as much as possible, and I keep my fingers crossed to have the fan support in buying our albums, cause only in this way we can continue our underground career.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Raff: In general almost the whole '90 death metal scene that came from USA and North Europe, influenced me for a very long time, and still does. But I have also changed my listenings during the latest 10 years, moving on differents genres, from Blues/Rock to Classical music, soundtracks and some Pop stuff(very little).
Joe: I agree with Raff about the 90’s death metal scene, but I have to say that the early albums of Coroner and Pestilence had a strong influence on my drumming. I must not forget the early Kreator and Sodom.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
Raff: Divings, I love to explore the underwater world, and food!
Joe: What I do far from the music activity deals with jobs… I have to get a salary, you know! I’m an English teacher, profession that I try to take on not without strong difficulties in Italy. But I have also worked for TV and cinema productions, I’m a production assistant and runner.

13.Before wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Joe: Yes, of course. I would like to thank all the real supporters who still buy an official copy of our albums or a T-shirt. Thank to you guys, cause you give us all the dedication, commitment and passion we can put into our death metal! See you live! The Fifth Fury is haunting you!

No comments:

Post a Comment